Gökçe Fırat Çulhaoğlu, the chairman of Ulusal Parti (National Party) and an author for the Türk Solu (Turkish Left) magazine, was taken into custody on August 31, 2016, as part of an investigation against the “media leg of the Fethullahist Terrorist Organization/Parallel State Structure (FETÖ/PDY).”

Arrest warrants against 35 people including Çulhaoğlu were issued as part of the investigation, where the majority of the suspects are either journalists or academics.

Upon finding out about the investigation, Çulhaoğlu reported to the Çağlayan Courthouse in Istanbul, where he was taken into custody by the police upon the prosecutor’s request. Çulhaoğlu and 11 others who were detained as part of the investigation testified before a prosecutor on September 2, 2016. Eight of the suspects, including Çulhaoğlu, were referred to a night court for arrest. In the early hours of September 3, the court issued an order for the arrest of Çulhaoğlu alongside journalists Murat Aksoy, Atilla Taş and Mutlu Çölgeçen on grounds that they “aided a terrorist organization without being its member.”

The indictment against Çulhaoğlu and 28 other suspects, a large number of whom are journalists, seeks prison sentences of up to 15 years for each suspect on charges of “membership in a terrorist organization.”

Citing his social media posts and excerpts from several of his books and columns, the indictment states that it is “conceived that Çulhaoğlu manipulated the public opinion on behalf of the organization and thus is a member of the organization.” The prosecutor pointed out that although the grounds for Çulhaoğlu’s initial arrest was “aiding a terrorist organization,” the charge against him was now confirmed as “membership in a terrorist organization,” based on the social media posts and excerpts in the indictment.

Çulhaoğlu made his defense statement during the first hearing of the case, held on March 27-31, 2017, at the Istanbul 25th High Criminal Court. On the last day of the hearing, the prosecutor requested the release of 13 defendants including Çulhaoğlu, and the panel of judges ordered the release of 21 of the 26 suspects under arrest, including the 13 suspects for whom the prosecution sought release. However, the same day in the evening hours, news arrived that yet another investigation on charges of “attempting to overthrow the government and the constitutional order” had been opened against the 13 defendants who had just been released and thus Çulhaoğlu and his 12 co-defendants were taken into custody once again as they were leaving the prison premises. Following a two-week period of detention at the Istanbul anti-terror police headquarters, Çulhaoğlu and 11 others were jailed pending trial, this time on the new coup related charges, on April 14, 2017.

The second hearing of the “FETÖ media leg” trial, where Çulhaoğlu is charged with “membership in a terrorist organization,” was held on April 27, 2017. No observers were allowed into the courtroom, except for a limited number of journalists.

The next hearing was held on July 6. At the end of the court session, the panel of judges, which was the third new panel since the beginning of the proceedings, ruled for continued detention for all detained suspects in line with the prosecutor’s request.

The first hearing in the case where Çulhaoğlu and 12 others are facing two aggravated life sentences on coup charges, was held on August 16-17, 2017. At the end of the session, Bünyamin Köseli and Cihan Acar, two former correspondents for the shuttered news outlets Aksiyon magazine and Bugün daily, respectively, were released under judicial control, while Çulhaoğlu and other defendants remained behind bars. The judges also ruled that the said case be merged with the ongoing “FETÖ media leg” trial, where the suspects face “membership in a terrorist organization” charges. The first hearing post the merging of the two cases was held on October 24, 2017, at the Istanbul 25th Heavy Criminal Court. At the end of the court session, the judges ruled for the release of journalist Murat Aksoy and Atilla Taş, a columnist for the shuttered Meydan daily.

No new release orders have been issued in the trial’s hearings on December 3 and 4. The trial was adjourned to February 6, 2018. Çulhaoğlu is still in detention in the Silivri Prison in Istanbul as part of this case.